Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Amber Amber is offline

Default Count items by day

Extremely Helpful.

I have never to done a chart off of a pivot table. I would like to be able
to show a line graph with one for each Method (call center and internet) with
the date on the x axis and number on the y axis. How can I change this
within the chart on the pivot table?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, I think you can use your data in a Pivot Table if you just add column headings. I'll assume DATE and TYPE.

From the Excel Main Menu: <Data<Pivot Table
Use: Excel..Click [Next]
Select your data..Click [Next]
Click the [Layout] button

ROW:
___Drag the DATE field here
___Drag the TYPE field here

COLUMN: (Leave this area blank)

DATA: Drag the TYPE field here
If it doesn't list as Count of TYPE...dbl-click it and set it to Count

Click [OK]
Select where you want the Pivot Table.Click [Finish].

The result will be a Pivot Table that lists TYPE counts by DATE and TYPE

Example:
Date____________Type___________Total
1/1/2007________Internet_______1
1/2/2007________Call Center____2
________________Internet_______1
1/3/2007________Call Center____1
________________Internet_______1

Does that help?
..
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Amber" wrote in message ...
I have a list of data where I want to know, by day, how many time different
items occur.

I have tried several possibilities with no luck. I would like to use a
pivot table but my data is not processing correctly.

1/1/2007 Internet
1/2/2007 Call Center
1/2/2007 Internet
1/2/2007 Call Center
1/3/2007 Call Center
1/3/2007 Internet

I would like the pivot table to be split between internet and call center
for each day, so I can plot these on a graph.