Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Micki Micki is offline

Default If And with multiple criteria

Can I send you a file? Is that allowed?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

If I understand you correctly then use "" in plaxe of 0 as in:

=IF(B5="Attrition","",IF(B5="Severance",(DATE(YEAR (H5),MONTH(H5)+DATEDIF(C5,H5,"y"),0))))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Micki" wrote in message
Here's what I have now with your help:
=IF(B5="Attrition",0,IF(B5="Severance",(DATE(YEAR( H5),MONTH(H5)+DATEDIF(C5,H5,"y"),0))))
That gives me a date to stop recording severance. I entered a formula next
it: =IF(C11<"1/1/8",K5,0) that will then calc across each mo of the yr and
stop when it reaches the correct stop month. But if he quit the company
(attrition), the result comes back 1/1/1900 and the severance amount
remains
when it shouldn't.

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Column A: Name, Column B: Start Date, Column C Termination Date.

Last Payment date:

=(DATE(YEAR(C2),MONTH(C2)+DATEDIF(B2,C2,"y"),0))

Is this waht you want?

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Micki" wrote in message
Joe Smith is severed 1/1/08 with 4 years of service with the company.
He
is
entitled to 4 weeks severance for every year of service. Payments are
made
2x
month, and in the above case, would be made over 4 months. His last
severance
payment would be April 30. The tool will only be used by myself and
management to track expenses related to severance, not to ensure
payments
are
made.

"Dave O" wrote:

If I may suggest: propose to the owner of the project or spreadsheet
that you be allowed to make the spreadsheet more intuitive. There are
several good reasons for doing this: if you are responsible for
ensuring payments are made, for instnace, then you need a good tool.
Also, since payroll is a *very* important topic to people, and since
your company is likely contractually obligated to pay those people,
it is a legal exposure, not to mention an embarassment to the company,
if this goes wrong.

So the suggestion is, add enough fields to be able to do the job
properly. If you'll post the severance pay policy this forum can help-
if you'll include the frequency of pay (every two weeks, every week,
every month, etc.) we can create a spreadsheet that will forecast
payments based on severance date and severance policy. Post some
sample data too- but remember for privacy and security to use fake
names and numbers.