Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff[_4_] Jeff[_4_] is offline

Default Macro to Delete first words in a column

Is there a way to add a macro to a toolbar in Excel the way I can in
Word? I cannot seem to be able to find the macro I just created to make
it a button on the toolbar. I can execute it from the Ctrl-t shortcut
but a button would be nice.

Thank you.

Jeff

David McRitchie wrote:
Hi Jeff,
See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#septerm
make sure that the column to the right is empty and the words
after the first word will be moved to the next column.
If you have names like "van Buren" then change all "van " to
"van$" and change the $ signs back to spaces afterwards.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi

I'm working in 2002 and have a spreadsheet with several columns. One
of the columns has text consisting of a surname and several
other names after each entry. That is each field (or line) in that
column contains several words. I need to delete the first word
(happens to be the surname) in each field in that column. Because a
dealing with several thousand records, I would obviously like to
create a macro to do this, one line at a time. I attempted to
create this macro with the "record a macro" function. But it has
not worked for me. The macro I produced just pastes the same end
result (from the first field) in every field I run it.

Example:
Changing "Smith John Andrew" to "John Andrew"
Changing "Henderson Frank: to "Frank"
etc.

Basically, once I am in a field in that column, I want the macro to
do its thing, I would like it to:

F2 (to edit the field)
Home (to go to the beginning of the text words)
Shift-Ctrl-Right arrow (to select the first word)
Delete (to delete that selected first word)
Enter (to accept the result ad move to the next field below it).

I have been unsuccessful in creating that macro - or at least it does
not work correctly when recorded and just pastes the results of the
first field I created the macro in. Is it possible to create such a
macro? I do not know Visual basic and therefore cannot write it from
scratch, assuming it was possible to do so.

Can someone help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff