Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RobN[_2_] RobN[_2_] is offline

Default Speed of file opening

Dave,

I noticed your first comment in this thread was to clean up the temp folder.
Thought I'd look at mine by your suggested method, running %temp%. My Temp
is chockers with Folders....many of them empty, but many not. When you say
clean up, do you mean delete all those folders? Is there any risk in doing
that? Or should I look at each folder and decide if it can be
deleted...which would be difficult!

Rob

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Where I worked, each pc that was distributed at the same time had the same
hardware configuration and same harddisk image.

It made the life of the IT folks much easier--not too bad for the typical
user,
but irritating for the power user who needed a non-standard configuration.

I thought 2 minutes to open a file was pretty slow.

To the OP:
One more thought. Where is the file located? Any chance that the user
with the
slow opening workbook is having network problems?

"F.G." wrote:

Dave,

Actually I will be surprised if the entry level BM T42 opens fast a
large file with multiple formulas.
Some of them were shipped initially with only 256 MB of RAM at a very
low speed compared to todays' machines.
Maybe his friend is a tech guy and added extra 512 RAM (at least), he
is disabling the recalculation feature and stopping all the inutile
processes.
Also it is good to note that sometimes a serie of production is
custmized with additional option if requested by the buyre.
So maybe they are bothe T42 Architecture but wih different somponents.
He got the entry level of T42 and the other was upgraded ... I guess.

Regards,
FG

--

Dave Peterson