Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mik Mik is offline

Default Sum data, depending on cell content

Hello,

I am looking for some assistance.
Please see the following example:-

Col A Col B Col C Col D
1 apple 0.10 0.10
2 pear 0.15 0.30
orange 0.15
3 banana 0.20 0.20
4 kiwi 0.22 0.22

Lets assume that Column A is a receipt number, and Column B is product
purchased, and Column C is the unit cost, and Column D is the total
cost for that particular receipt.

I want to sum the applicable contents of column C, depending on the
value of Column A.

This I find simple, however I have the following problem.

If somebody purchases multiple items, i wish to display the receipt
Number only once for their transaction, and will not be displayed
against each item they purchased.
So, as per the following example, receipt 2 (Column A) contained 2
purchases each costing 0.15 (x2).
So, i want to show the sum of 0.15 + 0.15 in the appropriate row of
Column D

The purchaser could buy any number of items, so how do i sum this
value, when he could buy anything between 1 or 10 items?

Thanks in advance,

Mike