Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Telobamipada Telobamipada is offline

Default Custom Format Question

I found that I can check up to 3 columns using the conditional format,
obviously wasn't thinking. My original thought was trying to set a custom
format as opposed to the conditional format. I have seen custom formats which
can set a fill color of a cell based on the value of another cell. Perhaps
there is a way to accomplish this using a custom format which could extend
beyond 3 checks?
--
If you can read this, thank a Teacher...
If your reading it in english, thank a Veteran!

"Telobamipada" wrote:

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful. Bernard's worked great for a
specific word but I used the solution provided by JE since it worked where
the cell 'contains' the word.
Can I make this formula look atb multiple columns? Say for instance check
column
E and if the word is found there fill with red, check column F and if found
there fill with Yellow, Check column G and if found there fill with Green?
--
If you can read this, thank a Teacher...
If your reading it in english, thank a Veteran!

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

Not Custom format, but you can use conditional formatting.

Select the row (say row 1). Choose Format/Conditional Formatting...

Change the dropdown/inputboxes to read

CF1: Formula is =COUNTIF($A1,"*certainword*")
Format1: <patterns/<red

In article ,
Telobamipada wrote:

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!