Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Problem with rounding?

round down if the next decimal place is <5, and round up if the next decimal
place is 5.

What will you do if it =5?

Why use round at all why not format that cell to the precision you want by
displaying it as a number with (say) 2 decimal places. That way Excel will do
what you require and has the added advantage of not changing the underlying
value of that number which the rounding functions do.

Mike

"AmImad?" wrote:

Actually... I've still got a similar problem. For my calculations I need to
round down if the next decimal place is <5, and round up if the next decimal
place is 5.
Using the figures below, I am running into problems:

Range 0 - 200
Target Value: 50
Input Value: 49.85
Actual error: -0.15
Error as % of range: -0.08 (-0.075)
Using the formula: ROUND((((50-49.85)/200)*100),2)
I get the answer -0.07

That's why I was using the ROUNDUP option.
Is there a way to get around this?
Thanks again

"AmImad?" wrote:

Hi
I use excel for calculating calibration errors based on range/target
value/actual value, and then round the answers to two decimal places. I have
noticed some errors where the figures are being rounded too high. Please see
example below:

Range 0 - 200
Target Value: 100
Input Value: 99.94
Actual error: -0.06
Error as % of range: -0.03
Using the formula: ROUNDUP((((100-99.94)/200)*100),2)
I get the answer -0.04

Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong?!
Thank you.