Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

Default Pivot Table: Variance formula

Add another copy of the Born/Sold field to the data area.
Right-click on a cell in that column, and click on Field Settings
Click Options, and from the dropdown list choose Difference From
As the Base Field, select the Born/Sold field
As the Base Item, select Sold
Click OK

Grunt_13 wrote:
Within a pivot table, how can I calculate a VARIANCE between 2 columns,
rather than the default "Grand Total" as shown below (i.e., I need to see a
variance of 8 on the Dog/Male row, rather than the "total" of 12) ?

Animal Gender Born Sold Grand Total
Dog Male 10 2 12
Female 5 2 7
Cat Male 1 1 2