Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
diaare diaare is offline

Default Calculation using result from Index/Match

Pete

Thanks for the response. I checked all of the cells that the formula is
using, and they are all formatted as numbers. I even tried your cut and
repaste method to make sure, but still no change.

Any other ideas?

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Hi Diane,

the INDEX/MATCH formula is bringing data from column B in your
HourlyData sheet, and I would imagine that although the data in this
column looks like numbers it is actually text. So, you will need to
change the data into numeric form in column B. One way to do this is
to first format the cells in column B as General (in case they are set
to Text), and then click on an empty cell somewhere and click <copy,
then highlight column B and Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) |
Add (check) | OK, then click <Esc.

See if that clears it up.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 12, 4:53 pm, diaare wrote:
Could someone please help me figure out what is going on here?

I have the following in a spreadsheet:

Cell BQ16 = 536 - a raw number
Cell BQ17 = 509 - correctly derived from the formula:
(=INDEX(HourlyData!$A$2:$Z$355,MATCH('Efficiency July-Dec
07'!BQ$3,ManpowerData!$A$2:$A$355,0),2)

In Cell BQ18 I have the formula =BQ17/BQ16 formatted as a percent - should
be 95% but it calculates 0%.

When I place this formula in BQ18 =BQ16/BQ17 I get the #DIV/0! error. Why?
I see 509 in BQ17, not zero. Why does excel think it is a zero?

Am I not able to do a calculation using a number in a cell generated by an
index match function? Or is this something else?

Thanks,
Diane