Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default largest value that can be entered into MS Excel field

So I guess you're calling me pedagogical... I use it in Vlookup formulas to
convert text to value. I just kinda like that it documents the fact that I am
working with text.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

The VALUE function is obsolete, if you need to calculate a text number using
an operator like + - * / the calculation itself will convert them but there
is no sense if you have more than 15 digits
I haven't found a single occasion where the VALUE function is more useful
than 1* or --
except maybe for pedagogical reasons

Peo Sjoblom

"Kevin B" wrote in message
If the number are entered as text, anytime the values need to by used by a
function the VALUE function can be used to convert the text value to
numeric
ones. However, you'll still be limited to 15 digits of precision
--
Kevin Backmann

"Bob I" wrote:

that is correct, there are 15 digits of precision in Excel.

Aaron Z wrote:

If I type in the following number into a field:
123,456,789,123,456,789
and hit enter, I get the following number in the field:
123,456,789,123,456,000

If I then take the second number, subtract 2 from it in another cell,
and
then do an exact function on the 2nd and 3rd (now 2 less than the 2nd),
I get
a "TRUE" result.

I'm using Excel 2003, service pack 2.