Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] derr04@gmail.com is offline

Default Adding Cells that Contain Text

On Oct 12, 1:45 pm, Soundar wrote:
Hi,

You can use the sum function as follows to solve your problem:

=SUM((VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),VALUE(LEFT(A2,1)))

cell a1 -- 5 - oranges
cell a2 -- 6 - Grapes

Hope this will clear your doubt.

Regards,
Soundar.

" wrote:
Is there anyway that I can add two cells ie.

cell 1 - (5 - Oranges)
cell 2 - (6 - Grapes)

and get a sum of 11 in the third cell...i cant just use the sum
function because of the text being in the cells- Hide quoted text -

Well...quite the amount of answers in the short time and I would like
to say thanks

=SUM((VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),VALUE(LEFT(A2,1)))

this formula works great for what im trying to do, but i now run into
another problem of say I am trying to do this for cells A1 through
A100 is there a way I can specify that without having to type
VALUE(LEFT for every cell?