Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default largest value that can be entered into MS Excel field

You can't obviously make any calculations but if you precede the entry with
an apostrophe ' or format the cell(s) as text before you type it will be
displayed correctly

Peo Sjoblom

"Aaron Z" wrote in message
How do I get it to not change the number? I need it to retain what its
given, unmodified; and as importantly, display it (without having to first
change the cell to text format). It sounds like this isn't possible given
the 15-digit constraint.

Thanks for the quick reply.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Excel keeps track of 15 significant digits--no more.

So when you typed in that giant number, excel actually changed it what
you saw.

And when you subtracted 2 from that 123,456,789,123,456,000 number, excel
still
kept track of 15 digits. So it resulted in 123,456,789,123,456,000.

Aaron Z wrote:

If I type in the following number into a field:
123,456,789,123,456,789
and hit enter, I get the following number in the field:
123,456,789,123,456,000

If I then take the second number, subtract 2 from it in another cell,
and
then do an exact function on the 2nd and 3rd (now 2 less than the 2nd),
I get
a "TRUE" result.

I'm using Excel 2003, service pack 2.

--