Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected][_2_] johnnycake23@gmail.com[_2_] is offline

Default Excel If Then Question

On Oct 12, 7:57 am, "
wrote:
On Oct 12, 7:50 am, JLatham <HelpFrom @ Jlathamsite.com.(removethis)
wrote:

try
=IF(A2<"","yes","no")
you'll get yes for anything other than an empty string.

" wrote:
Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to signify
anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for ANYTHING, that is,
any character at all that is typed will return a "yes". I hope that
makes sense. Any help is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Excellent. That works. Thank you all for your input.

Follow up question. When I make an entry into A1, then B1 populates
with date/time stamp, which is what I want. However, when I make an
entry into A2, then B2 puts in a date/time stamp BUT it also changes
B1 to that date and time. How can I make it so that column B (and
subsequent columns) does not change with each new entry in column A?