quartz

Default E-mailing links to Excel files

Using Windows XP with Office 2003.

We have a network over which all users have access to one common area.
I would like to e-mail an Excel icon to certain users so that all they need
to do is "drag and drop" the icon on their desktop. Then to view, edit, and
update their respective file, all they need to do is double click the icon
on their desktop.

What is the correct procedure for this? In the past I have always e-mailed a
file by "drag and drop" directly into the body of an email. But, this sends a
copy of the actual file and not a link. I have never before sent a link. Can
someone please help me out?

Thanks much in advance.