Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
build build is offline

Default Variables in formulas

LOL
G'day Chip,
You must be grey or bald or both by now :-) I'm pure white and rather thin
on top and in the top too.
I guess you'd like a cent for every question you've answered on these
groups, huh?
My offer still stands to buy you a meal and a beer or 50 if your ever
downunder in gods own country and that offer goes to Thomas if he's still
around (is he?)

From memory your west coast? if not are you near Indy? I get there once a
year but never have much time to spare.

cheers,
build

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
Does Chip still post to these groups?

Indeed I do.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"build" wrote in message
Thanks Barb, exactly what I want!

I should have looked at Chips site (www.cpearson.com) but it's been quite
a while since I've used excel and it inexplicably slipped my mind. For
anyone else reading this who is not familar with Chips site, I strongly
recommend a visit it is an extremely useful place with some bloody clever
stuff.

Does Chip still post to these groups?
What about Thomas? Another very clever bloke!

cheers,
build

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in
message ...
Have you thought about storing them as a named range?

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/named.htm

Scroll down to the Naming Formulas section.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"build" wrote:

G'day All,
Is it possible to use variables in formulas without storing them in a
cell?

i.e. (a simplified example)
VarA=SUMIF(A:A,Y:Y,X:X)
VarB=SUMIF(A:A,Y:Y,W:W)
IF(B:B<VarA,VarA,VarB)

looks a lot better than
IF(B:B<SUMIF(A:A,Y:Y,X:X),SUMIF(A:A,Y:Y,X:X),SUMIF (A:A,Y:Y,W:W))

The formula I have is too long and complex therefor would be a
nightmare to
trouble shoot a year down the track. Also storing the variables in a
cell
seems sloppy to me.