Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sasa Stankovic Sasa Stankovic is offline

Default how do I extend sub-columns into one long row?

or maybe he thinks about joining all text into one! but one text can't be
longer than 32000 characters!
and, it is not possible to see more than 255 characters in column (max width
is 255).
so...
interesting idea....

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you are using XL2003 or earlier, there is a limit of 256 columns -
are you sure you won't exceed this by combining multiple records
together?

I think it would be better to aim for your data to be only two columns
wide and many rows long, with your "header" in column A appearing on
every row for which the transaction applies. This depends on exactly
what is in columns B,C,D etc, but you can easily summarise the data
from such a simple table using SUMIF (perhaps on a second sheet).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 8, 8:50 pm, Brenda wrote:
I have a heading in column A. There are several transactions listed in
columns B,C,D etc. (there are several rows of these under each column A
heading) I want to extend all items under main heading In column A into
one
long row. I have heard the term "drop column", but cannot get that to
work.
Basically I want the spreadsheet to have more columns that rows. Right
now
it is the other way around.