Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Horatio J. Bilge, Jr. Horatio J. Bilge, Jr. is offline

Default merged cells - code glitch

I considered unmerging the cells, but I'm trying to avoid it, because the
spreadsheet also serves as a printable form, and that would affect the
readability of the printout. Since this is the only problem that has arisen
from the use of the merged cells, I was hoping that I could add a line to the
code to work around it.

Maybe something like:
IF {Del key is pressed} THEN Target.Formula = ...

Would that work? I'm not sure exactly how to write it in code.
~ Horatio

"Duke Carey" wrote:

Merged cells are the worst plague that Microsoft has loosed on unsuspecting
users.

The best course of action is to unmerge the cells. There's almost always a
better way of doing something WITHOUT merged cells.

"Horatio J. Bilge, Jr." wrote:

I have a glitch in my code. The purpose of the code is to protect the
formulas in cells on Sheet1, while still allowing a specific text entry
("Ex"). And if a user then chooses to delete the "Ex" the cell will revert
back to the original formula, by retrieving it from Sheet3.

My code works well in single cells. But I have in some merged cells (e.g.,
E5 is merged from E5 and E6), and there is a glitch in the code. In those
cells, pressing the delete key actually deletes the contents of the cells,
and results in an error. If I delete the cell by pressing 'backspace' and
then 'enter' the code works as expected.

Here is my code:
If Application.Intersect(Target, Range("E5:E49")) Is Nothing Then
Exit Sub
End If
If Target.Value < "Ex" Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Formula = Sheets("Sheet3").Cells(Target.Row,
Target.Column).Formula
Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
Exit Sub