Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve[_4_] Steve[_4_] is offline

Default Sumif

Hi Pete, thanks for the response. But I don't think I was very clear
in explaining my problem. Let me try again:

In cell A1of Sheet1 I have a pulldown menu of Dates (1/1/2007 through
12/1/2009). On Sheet2, Cells N2 though DD2 have dates. I'm trying to
use a standard Sumif, with the column to search being Sheet2!
B3:B18000, the criteria to find in Sheet1!A3, BUT the column to sum
varying based on the criteria selected in Sheet1!A1. Essentially, I
need it to find a "match" based on the contents of Sheet1!A1. For
instance, if the user selects 8/1/2008 in cell A1, then the Sumif will
look for 8/1/2008 in Sheet2!N2:DD2 and sum the column that it finds it
in.

Does that make more sense? Thanks for your help!!

On Oct 9, 10:11 am, Pete_UK wrote:
Here's one way of doing it. I assumed your months (Jan, Feb, Mar etc)
were in B2:M2, with data immediately below them in row3. Put this
formula in A3:

=SUM(INDIRECT("B3:"&CHAR(MATCH(A1,B2:M2,0)+65)&"3" ))

Then choose your month from the pull-down in A1 and you will have the
sum from January up to the month chosen.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 9, 4:40 pm, Steve wrote:

Hi all, is there a way to write a sumif formula where the column of
the data to be summed is a variable? In cell A1, I have a pulldown
menu of Months. Across row 2, I have the months Jan-Dec. I'm trying
to vary the column to be summed based on the month selected in A1.
Possible? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -