Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael Michael is offline

Default How to: Find first empty cell in column

My bad, =INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A10="",0)-1,0)
Note that in the match formula the last parameter must be zero.

Sorry about that

--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"Michael" wrote:

=INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A10="",1)-1,0)
Don't forget to use the ctrl-shift enter combination to enter this formula
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"DW" wrote:

Thanks Peo, but, (and I probably didn't make myself clear, sorry),

let's say, A4 is first empty, how would I get the cell value of A3?

Hope this clears it up. Again, sorry.

Don

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
=MATCH(TRUE,A1:A10="",0)

entered with ctrl + shift & enter will find the first and return the index
number so using A1:A10
and the first empty is in A4 it will return 4

Peo Sjoblom

"DW" wrote in message
I believe there is a formula that has something about max(row, etc), but
cannot recall it.

Col A would contain a list of numbers.
I'm trying to find the first empty (blank) cell in col A.
Even tho I could write a macro to do this, I'm needing the cell formula.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Don