Dave Peterson

That's the underlying value of the date (which is the number of days from a base
date).

Try formatting your cell as a date:
format|cells|Number tab|Date category (or even Custom).

But I get Jan 3, 2005 when I format 38355 as a nice date.

(Maybe a typo in the newsgroup post???)

Sandyw wrote:

This is exactly what I need! But when I do it, the correct date displays up
in the toolbar, but in the cell it is not correct. For instance for
20030105, in the cell I get 38355. Am I missing something?? Thank you for
all your input.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Datatext to columns, click next twice and under column data format select
date and YMD
then click finish.

Peo Sjoblom

"Sandyw" wrote in message
I have a date entered as 20050103. How do I get it to change to 1/3/05?

--

Dave Peterson