Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default using excel to pick data from a list, reporting names and integers

You could just sort the data in descending order using number as the
key field.

Or, you could apply Autofilter to the number column and choose Top-10
from the pull-down.

Or, you could use a formula method - look up the LARGE function in
Excel to help you return the top-10 values in another column, and from
these an INDEX & MATCH combination could give you the names
corresponding to those values (it's a bit more difficult if you have
duplicate values in the top-10).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 5, 9:45 am, matt wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to find out how i can use excel to search through a list of names
and numbers, to find and extract a number that would fit to my criterea.

for example, below is a basic version of my data.

name number

bob 1
mary 2
frank 8
judith 3

now what i would like to do is create some kind of formula that would return
to me, say, the highest number and their name, so it would return:

judith 9

im using it to sort through quite a large list of figures, and i need it to
extract the top 10 figures and names for me.

thanks,

matt