Pittsburgh Jack

Isn't there a simpler way? I don't understand the $A:$A and $1:$1 reference
in the formula.

Pittsburgh Jack

"Max" wrote:

One way ..

Assuming this table is in A1: D4 in Sheet1

-- X Y Z
A 5 3 8
B 7 9 9
C 9 4 5

In Sheet2
------------
With cols A and B, in row1 down earmarked for the inputs
of horiz. (X,Y,Z) and vertical (A,B,C) references

Put in say, C1:

=IF(COUNTBLANK(A1:B1)<0,"",OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,MAT CH(B1,Sheet1!$A:$A,0)-1,MA
TCH(A1,Sheet1!$1:$1,0)-1))

Copy C1 down

If A1 contains: Y, B1 contains: C, C1 returns 4
If A2 contains: Z, B1 contains: A, C1 returns 8
and so on ..

--
Rgds
Max

are
a series of categories in the left column (for the rows) and a series of
categories along the top of the table (for the colums). How do I get

Excel
to return a value from a junction of the X-Y axis by imputing one of the
categories on the left and one of the categories on the top of this simple
table?