Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Data Validation - Dependent Lists & Conditional Formatting

Angeles

Debra Dalgleish has a sample workbook for adding items to a DV list.

DV0012 - Update Validation List -- type a new value in a cell that contains data
validation, and it's automatically added to the source list, and the list is
sorted; a macro automates the list updates. DataValListAddSort.zip 11 kb

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

Scroll down until you find DV0012 to download the file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:05:01 -0700, Ron Coderre
wrote:

I'd like to help, but I'll be traveling with no internet access for the next
10 days. Since the original thread is so old.....try posting a new question
so the excellent talent that frequents these groups can help you. (If you do
that...leave a post here indicating that, so you don't have 2 separate groups
of people helping)
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Angeles" wrote:

Hi , I have used the Debra Dalgleish's Contextures website for
instructions on Dependent Lists, and it works excellent , but now I need to add items to my validation Lists , let me explain , if the user type a new element I need to add that new one to the validation list. How can I do it ?

Thank you

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

First, thanks for visiting Debra Dalgleish's Contextures website for
instructions on Dependent Lists. Now, I have a lot less expaining to do.

Since the dependent list is based on a Named List, try this:
With
A1 containing the parent list
B1 containing the dependent list
and the Named list: MyNamedList

Then
Select B1
<format<conditional formatting
Formula is: =ISERROR(MATCH($B$1,MyNamedList,0))
Click the [format] button and set your format
Click the [OK] buttons and you're done.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Bob" wrote:

Using Data Validation, I have created a dependent list (based on instructions
found on the Contextures web site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html).
I want to create a conditional format whereby if someone changes the
selection in the first data validation list without changing the
corresponding selection in the dependent list (i.e., second list), the cell
value in the dependent list will turn red.
Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?
Thanks, Bob