Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Novice IF and COUNT question (I think)

Note that Peo said:

... C2 holds the work locations and D2 the passed/failed abbreviation

not column C and column D. He meant for you to put "IHR" in C2 and "P"
in D2 and the amended formula will work as before. The advantage of
this is that you can easily change what is in those two cells and get
a different result, without having to modify the formula.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 3, 6:47 pm, Robin wrote:
Fantastic! THANK YOU. This one worked just fine: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="IHR"),--(B2:B200="P"))

I will have to learn more about the SUMPRODUCT function. What purpose do
the dashes serve?

Regarding the following suggestion:
it's easier to use if you change it to

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=C2),--(B2:B200=D2))

where C2 holds the work locations and D2 the passed/failed abbreviation

If C holds work locations and D the P/F abbreviation, what is in columns A
and B?