Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
YK YK is offline

Default displaying complex number in Excel

Thanks,

However rounding inside "COMPLEX" would not maintain the intended value.
I guess we just have to live with it....

It would have been nice if the number formatting could be applied to complex
numbers.

Thanks again.

YK

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

COMPLEX displays a text value
You may want to experiment with formulas such as
=COMPLEX(ROUND(1/3,2),1)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"YK" wrote in message
When one cell contains COMPLEX(1,1), it displays "1+i" nicely.
However, when it is like COMPLEX(1/3,1), it displays
"0.3333333333333333+i".
I noticed they are also flushed left, unlike normal numbers.
Is there any format to tell Excel to display complex number with limited
number of digits? Formatting the cell does not seem to do anything on
complex numbers.