Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Novice IF and COUNT question (I think)

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

Peo Sjoblom

"Robin" wrote in message
Fantastic! THANK YOU. This one worked just fine:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="IHR"),--(B2:B200="P"))

I will have to learn more about the SUMPRODUCT function. What purpose do
the dashes serve?

Regarding the following suggestion:
it's easier to use if you change it to

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=C2),--(B2:B200=D2))

where C2 holds the work locations and D2 the passed/failed abbreviation

If C holds work locations and D the P/F abbreviation, what is in columns A
and B?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="IHR"),--(B2:B200="P"))

will count IHR that passed, it's easier to use if you change it to

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=C2),--(B2:B200=D2))

where C2 holds the work locations and D2 the passed/failed abbreviation

adapt to fit the your real range sizes etc

Peo Sjoblom

"Robin" wrote in message
I know there must be a worksheet function to do what I am doing by
various
degrees of filtering and sorting, so I thought I'd ask here. Basically:

Column A contains data on work location, eg, IHR, CPD, ED
Column B contains data on whether or not someone passed or failed a
test,
eg
P or F

I need to know, how many people from each work area passed and failed a
test. For example, if data in Column A = IHR, how many people (in that
work
area) passed the test and how many failed the test

Currently, Im sorting the data to get all my IHRs grouped together,
then
adding blank rows below each work location and counting the # of Ps and
Fs
for that "group". I know there must be an easier way. Assistance is
much
appreciated.
Thanx.