Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Balan Balan is offline

Default Parse File Location

Mike,
As the length of the file names vary, I feel you can achieve your goal by
substituting the delimiters. I believe, only "\" and "." are going to be the
delimiters. If so,try this:
---------
i)Go to a column adjacent to the file address.
ii)Use "Substitute " function [ e.g., =Substitute(D9,".","\")], D9 is the
cell in which the address is there. This will substitute all dots with
slashes.
iii) In the new cells EditCopy and EditPaste Special Values ( so that
the new addresses will be values instead of formulae)
iv) Parse
--------
Pl Keep me informed.

"Mike" wrote:

Hello,

I would like to parse the following to extract just the file name:
C:\MICTSeed\MICTSeeding.mdb.

The file name will be the same but the location can change so how do I
account for this when creatig my formula. Would it be better to do this using
VBA?

Thanks,
Mike