Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Look up formula

Yes it can - if you are using VLOOKUP, for example, then you would
need to set the fourth parameter to FALSE or 0, meaning that you want
an exact match so sort order is not important. I'm a bit confused with
what is a name and what isn't in your description, so here's a generic
approach:

=VLOOKUP(D1,Sheet2!B:F,5,0)

Put this in F1 of Sheet1 and if the value in D1 is matched in column B
of Sheet2 then it will return the corresponding value from column F of
Sheet2 - if an exact match is not found, then it will return #N/A.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 10:59 pm, Emma wrote:
I need to look up cells in one work sheet and match cells in another and
return and number from a different cell.
Look up cell in Fri 4D column d (column D is a name)
match cell in 4dAverage in column B (column B is a name but in different
order than column D in 4D worksheet)
then return number from 4D Fri column F to
worksheet 4dAverage column f.

Can excel do this? Can it match names from one worksheet that are in
another worksheet if they are in a different order?

Thanks,