Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jan Kucera Jan Kucera is offline

Default Using formulas in conditions (SUMIF, AVERAGEIF)

Hello Biff,
thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the first solution uses math
trick as well and the second one profits from being able to express the
ISODD function using modulo 2. I am actually looking for general way to pass
the tested value to a function, be it ISERR, ISBLANK, ISTEXT, WEEKDAY,
SEARCH or whatever....

Thanks, Jan

"T. Valko" wrote in message
For the sum if, try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=10),--(A1:A10<=20),A1:A10)

For the average if is odd, try this array formula** :

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(A1:A10,2),A1:A10))

The ISODD/ISEVEN functions won't work on arrays. Also, I'm assuming the
values in question are integers and there are no text entries in the
range.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

If you're using Excel 2007 there is an AVERAGEIF function but I don't use
Excel 2007 so I don't know the correct syntax. The above array formula
will work in any version.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jan Kucera" wrote in message
I want to use formula in condition syntax, but I don't know how to
reference the value being tested.

Like:
SUMIF(A1:A10;"10 AND <20")

Or: