Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
OssieMac OssieMac is offline

Default Display constant cell value based on another cell value

Hi again,

The "" is simply nothing. It is the Else part of the formula. The formula in
literal terms means if the value in E2 is greater than zero then insert the
value in cell $J$1 Else insert "".

If you want to insert a character like A then it has to be enclosed in
double quotes. By placing the double quotes together with nothing in between
then nothing is displayed.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Blue Bunny" wrote:

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
For my knowledge, what does the "" do in a formula?

Blue Bunny

"OssieMac" wrote:

Hi,

Assume that 18.00 is in cell J1.

=IF(E20,$J$1,"")

Regards,

OssieMac

"Blue Bunny" wrote:

I am setting up a time sheet template in Excel 2002. Below is the setup.

Col A Col B Col C Col D Col E Col F
Col G

Date Task Area Time In Time Out Hours Rate Amount Due
7:00 8:00 1.00 18.00 18.00

18.00
9:15 10:45 1.50 18.00 27.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
18.00
Invoice Total 2.50 18.00 45.00

I am wanting the rate of 18.00 (which is a constant) to only show in Column
F if there is a value in Col. E (same line).
Can this be done?

Thanks for any help provided!