Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW MartinW is offline

Default Help with If Function

Hi Joy,

Paul & Dave have answered your question but I just thought I'd
add an observation. As if the English language didn't have enough
ambiguities, the Excel developers decided to add another.

In English
and = and
& = and = ampersand
+ = and = plus = positive

In Excel
and = and
& = and = ampersand
+ = and = plus = positive
and
AND < and, it = "x" and "x"

A German friend of mine who is learning English has a very
descriptive terminology for these ambiguities, however, I
don't think it would be wise to share it on these forums. <g

Regards
Martin

"Joy" wrote in message
Can someone help me fix this because it doesn't seem to work and I don't
know
where to go from here?

=IF(A319&B317,"1",IF(A329&B3<17,"2",IF(A3<29&B3 17,"3",IF(A3<29&B3<17,"4"))))
--
Thanks, Joy