Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default The best way forward?

Can you have 25 Areas going down the sheet and 20 Categories going
across, thus creating a table? You could use a pivot table for this or
a SUMPRODUCT formula to get the sum in each Area/Category
intersection.

I'm not really sure what you are after, but hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 28, 9:55 pm, "Mickey" wrote:
Hi,
Please could someone advise me on the best way forward to do this?

I have 25 'areas' and some 20 'categories'. I need to display these so that
each area can look at it's own performance or look at the categories across
each area. I was wondering if there is a recommended way to say create two
worksheets, one for areas and one for categories, then as an example allow a
user to select an area from a list and have the display then show the
required data.

For example, on the categories sheet, the initial display would be the sum
of all catrgories across all areas, then a user could select an individual
catrgory and see how each area has performed.

Would the best way forward be vlookups. index/match or database functions?.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also any good links to study the
suggested methods?.

Thanks,
Mickey