Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
OssieMac OssieMac is offline

Default CF help needed with cell color

Hi again Neal,

I have just realized that I did not correct the double quote characters when
I copied the guide into the post. I actually edited the guide from one I had
in Word and it uses different characters for double quotes. (Angled instead
of vertical.)

Try this instead (I have only replaced the double quotes):-

=FIND("MCR",A1,1)0

You say "Even if i copy the formula as written into a blank page". I assume
you mean into formula box in the conditional format dialog box.

As you said, you do need to change the A1 to suit the top left cell of your
selection for the conditional formatting.

My apologies for not properly editing the formula when I posted it.

Regards,

OssieMac

"NealMed" wrote:

Ossie,
I thank you for your help. I had figured out the 1st one, that is
sensitive to how it's written, the latter, Even if i copy the formula as
written into a blank page, gives me an error. I'm not typing, just copy and
pasting, to see what happens. I can't find any problem with what you wrote,
it reads fine to me, can you help me trouble shoot it.
I did try to change the A1, to C6 because that is the first active cell of
use, but I still get the error saying the formual is wrong.
Neal
--
NealMed

"OssieMac" wrote:

Hi Again Neal,

Step by step guide to format if cell equals a particular value (MCR):-

Select the range of cells where you want the conditional formatting.
Select menu item Format, Conditional Formatting.
Condition 1 leave default option Cell Value Is.
Next box click drop down arrow and select equal to.
Next box enter MCR.
Click Format button.
Select tab for type of formatting (Font, Border or Patterns)
Set the format required and click OK.
Click OK again.
Note: The above is NOT case sensitive.

Step by step guide to format if MCR is contained in cell (AMCRZ):-

Select the range of cells where you want the conditional formatting.
Select menu item Format, Conditional Formatting.
Condition 1: Click drop down arrow and select Formula Is.
Next box enter =FIND(MCR,A1,1)0. (Note: A1 is the first cell of the
selected range)
Click Format button.
Select tab for type of formatting (Font, Border or Patterns)
Set the format required and click OK.
Click OK again.
Note: The above formula IS case sensitive.

The above formula can be replaced by the following for NOT case sensitive:-

=SEARCH(MCR,A1,1)0 (Note: A1 is the first cell of the selected range)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

OssieMac