Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default CF help needed with cell color

=ISNUMBER(FIND("MCR",C6))

should do it

--
HTH

Bob

"NealMed" wrote in message
Bob, Thanks, I understand what you were trying to tell me now.
It works mostly the way i want, but i've been playing with it a little
further.
there will normally be a name or something associated with the mcr in the
same cell. like todd mcr, or chris mcr, in the cell, How do i get it to
not
care about the name in the cell, just the incidence of mcr?
--
NealMed

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

That is what I gave you. I mentioned active cell as that is what you will
use in place of C6. Excel will automatically update the formula for each
cell.

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"NealMed" wrote in message
Perhaps i'm misunderstanding what active cell means, I don't want that
be
the choice in only that one cell, i want it to look in a group of cells
and
where ever it find mcr, i want the mcr to be turned red.
I'm going to try what you gave me and i'll write you back with my
sucess.
thanks.
--
NealMed

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Just use

=C6="MCR"

assuming that C6 is the active cell, and copy to the rest, Excel will
adjust
it

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"NealMed" wrote in message
I have the following two formulas for the same area the first works
the
second does not.
=C$5<ROW()-5
=C$6:$I$14="MCR"
The first one places a color in a group of cells unless a drop down
menu
gives it a different number of cells to cover.
What i want the 2nd to do, is to have in that same grouping of
cells,
change
the color of the font to red if the letters MCR are in that cell.
What did i do wrong in my formula.
Thanks for your help.
Neal.
--