Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default CF help needed with cell color

especially as 2007 is so different.

--
HTH

Bob

"OssieMac" wrote in message
Hi again Neal,

Yes it is OK with xl2002 (Office XP). That is the reason that I included
instructions for xl2007 and pre xl2007 versions.

Just as a suggestion, it is always a good idea to include the version of
xl
when posting questions because it can make a difference to how it might be
answered.

Regards,

OssieMac

"NealMed" wrote:

Following your example does it work the same in Excel 2002, that is the
version that i use at work, they use office xp.
--
NealMed

"OssieMac" wrote:

Hi Neal,

If you use a formula then it must be one that will evaluate to either
true
or false. In your first one that is what is happening. It is saying if
C$5 is
less than ROW()-5 then format.

another Example:-

=FIND("MCR",C6)0

The FIND function returns the number of times the value was found. If
it
returns a number greater than zero then it is true so apply format. If
it
returns zero then it was false so no formatting.

The above formula would only be used if the string is to be found
somewhere
in another string line ABCMCRXYZ although it works equally well if only
MCR
is in the cell.

If you want conditional format based on the value of a cell than you do
not
need the formula.

In xl2007: Select 'Format only cells that contain' and then 'Cell
Value' and
next box select 'Equal to' and third box enter the value MCR. (No
equal
signs or quotes.)

In pre xl2007 select Cell Value is and then next box select 'Equal to'
and
then third box enter MCR. (No equal signs or quotes.)

Regards,

OssieMac

"NealMed" wrote:

I have the following two formulas for the same area the first works
the
second does not.
=C$5<ROW()-5
=C$6:$I$14="MCR"
The first one places a color in a group of cells unless a drop down
menu
gives it a different number of cells to cover.
What i want the 2nd to do, is to have in that same grouping of cells,
change
the color of the font to red if the letters MCR are in that cell.
What did i do wrong in my formula.
Thanks for your help.
Neal.
--