Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Wondering[_2_] Wondering[_2_] is offline

Default Auto fill Adjacent cells

Sorry, that didn't work well. Lost all positions for columns and rows.

"Wondering" wrote in message
t...
You set up an Item table such as columns G, H and I for all your items.
Then you enter your item numbers in column A. Column C shows the formulas
that are actually in column B and column E shows the formulas that are in
column D. Column B looks up the column A item number in the Item table to
get the desc and column D looks up the column A item number in the Item
table to get the price. If the item number in column A is not in the
table, #N/A is returned. (#N/A = not available). After you put the
formulas in columns B and D, you can delete columns C and E. Look again
at http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html. That example shows one
look up to get the desc. I just extended it with a second formula to get
the price.

1

2
Items
3
Enter Item no.
Item no.
Desc.
Price

4
3456
black
=VLOOKUP(A4,$G$4:$I$6,2,FALSE)
3.99
=VLOOKUP(A4,$G$4:$I$6,3,FALSE)
1234
white
1.99

5
2345
red
=VLOOKUP(A5,$G$4:$I$6,2,FALSE)
2.99
=VLOOKUP(A5,$G$4:$I$6,3,FALSE)
2345
red
2.99

6
6789
#N/A
=VLOOKUP(A6,$G$4:$I$6,2,FALSE)
#N/A
=VLOOKUP(A6,$G$4:$I$6,3,FALSE)
3456
black
3.99

7
1234
white
=VLOOKUP(A7,$G$4:$I$6,2,FALSE)
1.99
=VLOOKUP(A7,$G$4:$I$6,3,FALSE)

"
Have fun.

Simon Blackburn" wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to create an an invoice/receipt worksheet, so that when I
input a
number in a cell, the adjacent cells automatically fill using predefined
information.
For example:

If i input 1234(item no) into cell A1, I want a description to appear
in
cell B1 and a Price in C1.

If anyone knows how to do this, please could you explain in Laymens terms
as
Im new to all this.

Many thanks and any help is appreciated.