Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Auto fill Adjacent cells

Debra explains it quite well but here goes a try.

First of all A1, A2, A3 do not run across the sheet as you show.

Your table of A1, A2, A3 on Sheet3 must be a typo.

I think you mean Column A, Column B and Column C

On Sheet1 B1 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet3!$A$2:$C$4,2,FALSE)

In C1 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet3!$A$2:$C$4,3,FALSE)

Enter a code number into A1 to return Desc. and Price. from Sheet3

Gord

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:00:00 -0700, Simon Blackburn
wrote:

Example.

A1 A2 A3
code Desc price
1234 white 1.99
2345 red 2.99
3456 black 3.99

I will create the table (above) on worksheet 3.
When i select A1 on worksheet 1 and type in 1234, I want White to appear in
B1 and 1.99 to appear in C1. The instructions given on
http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html doesn't really explain
clearly how to do this.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

VLOOKUP formulas will pull the data to appropriate cells.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and Data
Validation lists for entering the choices.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Note the section on using DV lists from another worksheet by naming the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:55:04 -0700, Simon Blackburn
wrote:

I'm trying to create an an invoice/receipt worksheet, so that when I input a
number in a cell, the adjacent cells automatically fill using predefined
information.
For example:

If i input 1234(item no) into cell A1, I want a description to appear in
cell B1 and a Price in C1.

If anyone knows how to do this, please could you explain in Laymens terms as
Im new to all this.

Many thanks and any help is appreciated.