Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Default How to automaticaly insert user name (login name) in excel?

Actually, Gary"s Student's function is slicker than mine. It doesn't require
the file be saved either............just copy and paste it into a regular VBA
module, and then just enter =User() in whatever cell you wish the User's name
to appear........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"dheitz" wrote:

I am a bit green w/ programming. I may need a bit of a walk through. Do I
just create this as a Macro and edit into the VB module... If i have this doc
saved as a template by the Admin, does the "Last Author" recover the Admin as
previously saved? does this change when the user "saves as" to a new name?

I am also intending to have a second line containing the users email
address. can I create some kind of formula to auto fill this info from a
retrieved string and a list of address?

Thanks,
Dave

"CLR" wrote:

With this function in a Module

Public Function LastAuthor() As String
Application.Volatile
LastAuthor = _
ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")
End Function

The formula =LastAuthor() in any cell will return the LastAuthor's name,
providing the file has been previously saved.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"dheitz" wrote:

I wish to add a signature line on an Excel document that automatically reads
the users name from either the login or document properties. is this
possible? this will be a template for 40 users and would like to automate as
much as possible.

thanks,