Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Using the function DSUM

Are you somehow trying to get all results in one fell swoop,

Yes, that was what I got before. The worksheet with an old database shows
precisely that. The first cell shows the formula,
=DSUM(Database,"Dividend",C869:D870) whereas every cell below it shows
{=TABLE(,C870)}. Must have been entered as for an array because it won't
allow me to edit it. Hence, I want to start everything all over again but
have forgotten how the DSUM formula was entered down the column. Just
copying it down won't work.

Table is a function that was introduced in either excel 2002 or 2003, it has
been removed in 2007
I have never really used it except to test it a few times.

then you would be better off creating a range with the values you want to
sum for like

AAAA
BBBBB
CCCC
ZZZZZ

assume you put those values in H2:H5, then in I2 put

=SUMIF(Company_Range,H2,Dividend_Range)

make the ranges absolute like $A$4:$A$50 etc and just copy down the
formula as long as needed

I have just tried your suggestion using SUMIF, replacing Dividend_Range
with a column of figures for H2 and got all zeros in column I. Thought
perhaps changing $A$4:$A$50 to A4:A50 for the Company_Range might work but
again they all turned out to be zero. Did you actually get it to work for
you? Appreciate your help.

Yes I got it to work, I can email you a little sample workbook if you want?
You can send an email to

terre08REPLACE1gmailREPLACE2com

replace REPLACE1 with @ and REPLACE2 with a period

and I will send you a little sample