Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Darren Bartrup[_2_] Darren Bartrup[_2_] is offline

Default Making a letter have a value

You won't be able to use the autosum, but this will work:

If your range to enter H's in is cells A1:A2 then this formula entered in
cell A3 will convert H's to 1's:

{=SUM(IF(A1:A2="H",1,0))}

Note, this is entered as an array formula so press Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead
of enter (which puts the { and } around the formula).

If you want to put a half day (valued as 0.5) add an extra IF statement

{=SUM(IF(A1:A2="H",1,IF(A1:A2="AH",0.5,0)))}

I'm using "AH" as my backslash button seems to have stopped working :p

Can you rate the post if it's any help please. Ta.

"Dave" wrote:

Hi, I need to make a letter have a value, so I can then use auto sum to then
add up. I need the letter H to have the same valve as one, so I can use this
on an attendance sheet, so when some enters H, it will then be counted as
one. I can then see how many days someone has had off.

Thanks

Dave