Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Making a letter have a value

With attendance codes for one person in a 12x31 cell range (B2:AF13)

This formula counts the number of cells containing only "H":
=COUNTIF(B2:AF13,"H")

Not sure if this applies, but you could count all of the cells that contain
either "H" or "V" with this formula:
=SUM(COUNTIF(B2:AF13,{"H","V"}))

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi, I need to make a letter have a value, so I can then use auto sum to
then
add up. I need the letter H to have the same valve as one, so I can use
this
on an attendance sheet, so when some enters H, it will then be counted as
one. I can then see how many days someone has had off.

Thanks

Dave