CLR

Sorry, my type-o, I meant you can then sort on Column B, not D

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"CLR" wrote in message
You can do this very easily with a helper column. First, back up your

data
and use a copy for this exercize. Assuming that your data is structured

as
a single column with school names and business names following them

downward
then another school name and then more business names, etc etc down the
column......then, if you have some one identifier in each and every school
name string, such as the word "school", then try this:
Column A has your data
Cell B1 put =IF(COUNTIF(A1:A1,"*school*")0,A1&1,"")
Cell B2 put =IF(COUNTIF(A2:A2,"*school*")0,A2&1,B1&1) and copy down

column
B.
Then highlight column B and Copy PasteSpecial Values over itself..

Now, you can sort on column D ..........the data will come out with the
schools being in ascending order followed immediately by their associated
businesses.

After sorting, you can delete the helper column if you wish.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"magnetoworld" wrote in message
I have schools that are linked to three different businesses. I am

trying
sort the schools by their name, but when I do, it sorts the businesses

by
their names as well. How can I make the schools sort and simply pull the
businesses that are under them with them? I need to group them in such a

way
that it sees the school and moves the entire block with the school name
without moving any of the businesses. Can anyone help me with that?