Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Tom is offline

Default Using the function DSUM

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Your criteria is not incorrect per se but it is not necessary to include
Dividend in the criteria, to get the Dividend for these different
companies your criteria could be one column 2 rows

You are right about the criteria point. Why I use "Dividend" is because it
is the column-field-name for the defined database. I then don't have to
enter the name of each individual company in the DSUM formula. But that is
not where my problem lies. It is the rest of the DSUM entry below it which
is something that has escaped my memory. I vaguely recall that for the rest
of the cells, the formula was entered as an array or something. Am I right?
If so, how is it done?
Thanks for clarifying the matter.

Regards,
Tom

Company
BBBB

Nevertheless I get the correct result using both ways so I don't know why
you are getting incorrect results

Of course a simpler way would be to use

=SUMIF(Company_Range,"AAAA",Dividend_Range)

or even

=SUMIF(Company_Range,H2,Dividend_Range)

Where H2 is the cell with the company name you want the criteria for

Peo Sjoblom

"Tom" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Years ago I was able to use the function DSUM to work successfully for
me. Now it won't give me the expected result. Is there something that I
have forgotten or failed to observe correctly? Step 1 shows my database.
Step 2 shows how I defined my criteria. In Step 3, where the word DSUM
is, I entered the function "=DSUM(Database,"Dividend",Criteria) " and got
the correct dividend sum for company AAAA. However, nothing else was
shown for the other companies. Any help here is much appreciated.

1. Database:
Date Company Dividend
12/7/03 AAAA 1250.65
24/4/05 BBBB 2345.27
....... ..... .......
....... ..... .......
16/2/04 ZZZZ 1469.02
....... ..... .......
....... ..... .......
7/12/06 MMMM 3218.10
....... ..... .......
....... ..... .......

2. Setting Criteria: 2 columns and 2 rows
Company Dividend
AAAA

3. Desired Result:
AAAA DSUM <-- =DSUM(Database,"Dividend",Criteria)
BBBB <-- Shows blank, when the sum is expected
here.
CCCC <-- Shows blank, when the sum is expected
here.
------- <-- Shows blank, when the sum is
expected here.
------- <-- Shows blank, when the sum is