Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Esradekan Esradekan is offline

Default Top 10 in descending order

On Sep 24, 7:30 am, Esradekan wrote:
On Sep 23, 11:47 pm, "MartinW" wrote:

Hi Esra,

What doesn't work? And what are you doing that is different
to Max's solution?

It works perfectly in my trials and is also a very clever
way to address the problem.

Regards
Martin

"Esradekan" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Sep 22, 10:33 pm, "Max" wrote:
A1:A40 is client list
B1:B40 is quantity ordered

In C1: =IF(B1="","",B1-ROW()/10^10)
In D1: =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(LARGE(C:C,ROW()),C:C,0))
Select C1:D1, copy down to D40. Hide away col C. Col D returns an
auto-sort
of clients in descending order by qty ordered. Any clients with ties (ie
same qty ordered) will be listed in the same relative order that they
appear
within A1:A40. Just read-off the top xx as needed.
--
Max
Singaporehttp://savefile.com/projects/236895
---"Esradekan" wrote in message

oups.com...

I need what is probably a simple formula.
I know filtering will do it, but this is from an unattended workbook,
so a formula would be best.

A1:A40 = range named "clients"
B1:B40 = range called "selection"
C1:C10 = result.

A1:A40 is client list
B1:B40 is quantity ordered
C1:C10 is required in order of largest to smallest, top ten, names
only, not amounts

TYIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

no, that doesnt work. anything i am doing wrong?
TIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

Only change i have made to first example is change where it says A:A
to $A$1:$A$40 as there is other data below where this is, same wih
C:C, changed to read $C$1:$C$40

TIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

oh by the way, i get #NUM in cells in d column.