Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW MartinW is offline

Default Top 10 in descending order

Hi Esra,

What doesn't work? And what are you doing that is different
to Max's solution?

It works perfectly in my trials and is also a very clever
way to address the problem.

Regards
Martin

"Esradekan" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 22, 10:33 pm, "Max" wrote:
A1:A40 is client list
B1:B40 is quantity ordered

In C1: =IF(B1="","",B1-ROW()/10^10)
In D1: =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(LARGE(C:C,ROW()),C:C,0))
Select C1:D1, copy down to D40. Hide away col C. Col D returns an
auto-sort
of clients in descending order by qty ordered. Any clients with ties (ie
same qty ordered) will be listed in the same relative order that they
appear
within A1:A40. Just read-off the top xx as needed.
--
Max
Singaporehttp://savefile.com/projects/236895
---"Esradekan" wrote in message

ps.com...

I need what is probably a simple formula.
I know filtering will do it, but this is from an unattended workbook,
so a formula would be best.

A1:A40 = range named "clients"
B1:B40 = range called "selection"
C1:C10 = result.

A1:A40 is client list
B1:B40 is quantity ordered
C1:C10 is required in order of largest to smallest, top ten, names
only, not amounts

TYIA
Esra- Hide quoted text -

no, that doesnt work. anything i am doing wrong?
TIA
Esra