Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Popey Popey is offline

Default Counting Occurences In A Column

Hi Gary

You must be using a different version of Excel to me as there is no
"PivotTable" option under the data tab. The only place I can find such an
option is under the "Insert" tab, and then I do not get the next/next/layout
options you speak of. I get asked such questions as whether I want the data
on another spreadsheet, or the existing one.

I did state in my original post that I was using Outllok 2007. Is this the
version you are working from in your instructions?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Let's walk thru it step-by-step:

1. highlight cells A1 thru A13 (my example)
2. pull-down:
Data PivotTable Next Next Layout

You will now see 4 panes: Page, Row, Column, and Data

Drag the Animal button into the Row pane and then also into the Data pane
(the Data pane will show: Count of Animal)
Then click OK
Then click Finish

Update this post if you experience any problems.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200746

"Popey" wrote:

Hi Gary

Many thanks for the reply, but looking at the instructions for creating
pivot data, my brain exploded out of my ears - it looks very complicated.
All the instructions seem to be aimed at multiple columns of data. The
example you gave (animals) looks just what I am looking for, but I can't see
how it would be created.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

You don't even need a formula for this one. Just a Pivot table.

See:

for example if column A had:

Animal
mouse
mouse
cat
cat
cat
dog
cat
cat
cat
cat
dog
dog

the the pivot table would be:

Count of Animal
Animal Total
cat 7
dog 3
mouse 2
Grand Total 12

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200746

"Popey" wrote:

Hi

Here's one for you Excel forumla wizards:

Using Excel 2007 -

I have a list of customer names in Column C of a customer database I have
created, some names are repeated as they are frequent customers. Is there a
(hopefully simple) formula that would automatically search column C and tell
me how many times each customer has appeared in that column, thereby allowing
me to readily see which customers return the most?

Very many thanks.