Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Counting Occurences In A Column

A simpler way. Make a list of your clients in col D and use this copied
down. Then sort.
=COUNTIF($F$2:$F$22,D2)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Popey" wrote in message
Hi Don

Many thanks for your reply, and I appreciate your help, but I have to
confess - your reply made no sense to me whatsover. Sorry :(

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Assuming your customer names in col F. One way is to use this in col G
and
copied down.
=COUNTIF($F$2:$F$22,F2)
Sort or
Then use match to find the row in that column and find the name it
applies
to.
=INDEX(F2:F22,MATCH(LARGE(G2:G22,1),G2:G22,0))
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Popey" wrote in message
Hi

Here's one for you Excel forumla wizards:

Using Excel 2007 -

I have a list of customer names in Column C of a customer database I
have
created, some names are repeated as they are frequent customers. Is
there
(hopefully simple) formula that would automatically search column C and
tell
me how many times each customer has appeared in that column, thereby
allowing
me to readily see which customers return the most?

Very many thanks.