Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shailendra Harri Shailendra Harri is offline

Default Starting payment when increase rate is known & total payment i

Dear BJ,

I have figured out that the formula you suggested must always start in row
1, since row A1 = 1 and using the formula in any other row will result in
incorrect calcuation.

Thank You for your assistance in this

"bj" wrote:

other than I added one too many ")" at the end of the formula in the response
when I typed it
I am not sure why you get 147.30
I get 818.98 with the equation as printed minus the ")"
I can get 147.30 with
=5000/SUMPRODUCT(1.1^(ROW(A19:A23)-1))

the function is the same as 5000/(1.1+1.1^2+1.1^3+1.1^4+1.1^5)
since row(A1)=1 row(A2) =2 etc
so 1.1^(row(A1)-1)=1.1^(1-1)=1.1^(0)=1.1
and sumproduct was a convenient function to use for summing)

"Shailendra Harri" wrote:

Dear BJ,

Thank you for the prompt response, however your suggestion returns first
payment 147.30 when the result should be 818.99. I think we on the right
track here, but somehow the function is not 100% correct. Also it seems you
have used some Algebra type formuals here which are a lot more simpler than
what i have used. Can you please explain your logic so that i can understand
this.
--
Thank you in advance

"bj" wrote:

assuming you want a ten percent increase each year based on that years payment
to get the first payment
=5000/sumproduct(1.1^(row(A1:A5)-1)))
to get the second payment
=1.1* this cell
and so forth

"Shailendra Harri" wrote:

Does anyone know of a function that can provide the the starting payment and
the subsequent payments thereafter to reach a total as defined.

Example:
Total payments must be 5000 over 5 years. The increase rate is 10% every
year, so what will the starting payment be.

I have been able to figure this out using Algebra type mathematical
formula's in excel, however i believe there must be a function that can very
easily achieve this more quickly. The field Total payments, no of payments
and increase rate is known, while the unknown is the starting payment and the
payments subsequent to that.
--
Thank you in advance
Shailendra Harri