Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lovejunkie02 lovejunkie02 is offline

Default count based on selection from drop down list

I have a worksheet that has a drop down list in almost every column that
allows you to filter endlessly. there used to be something.. a formula?
that would count the number of entries based on the filter from the drop down
list. someone deleted the cell and now I can't figure out how to get it
back. is there an easy way to do this?
for example,

column A - year - drop down list: 2000,2001,2002
column B - name - drop down list: john doe, jane doe
column C - agency - drop down list: abc agency, def agency, ghi agency
row 1 has the heading with the drop down lists A1:year, B1:name, C1:agency

in A1, if i select 2002, can i get it to count the number of entries that
have been filtered? and can it count, in the same cell, if instead of
selecting a year, i chose to filter by agency?

thanks so much for your help!
my boss already thinks i'm an idiot and i'd love to prove him wrong by
taking credit for y'all's work. :)