Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW MartinW is offline

Default Counting Charaters

Sounds like the non-breaking space problem which
Text to Columns will overcome.

What happens to the original data if you do EditReplace
Find what: Alt+0160
Replace with: leave this box blank
Click Replace All

Will the LEN function now give results that you would expect to see.

Regards
Martin

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
the content of the cell was "plexiglass"
the second cell said "tape, cables, AV tape, misc. cables" and it said
both
cells had 28 characters in it.

But the text to column thing worked it separated the 60 characters out .
"Ron Coderre" wrote:

I hate to disagree, but if the LEN function says you have 28
characters....then you HAVE 28 characters. What are the actual contents
of
that cell?

Try this to test.....
Select the cell in question
Press [F2]...to engage Edit Mode

If that cell contains a formula
Press [F9]...to convert the formula to its calculated value.

Now count the characters displayed in the formula bar.
Are there blanks that you hadn't considered?

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the
formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?